section 75

If you purchase goods or services with your credit card, and the price is more than £100, and something goes wrong, you will potentially have the right to make what is called a section 75 claim with your card provider.

Making a claim should be straightforward and easy. To get started, contact your card provider and advise them you wish to make a section 75 claim.

If your claim is refused, we may be able to help by drafting a resubmission of the claim on your behalf.

We charge a fixed fee of £65 plus VAT.